It's easy to make excuses not to go to the gym, even if you've made it to the locker room. "Is it worth doing a workout if I don't have my headphones - I never work out well without music." "I've got a date after - I don't want to smell of cheap soap and sweat." "It's an important work day, I need to look sharp." Maybe you've even got there but you've forgotten fresh socks.
The gym is where we go to escape, rebuild ourselves, bond or just release some tension. It's an important space for both our bodies and minds but that doesn't mean we don't need help getting there or making the most of it and this little idea has probably helped me more than any self-help book, reminder, habit or app:
Rent a locker at your gym and kit it out.
It sounds simple, but read on. Investing a few extra pounds a month in a locker at your local gym will pay for itself. This life hack will help encourage you to use the gym and ensure that you're always ready for your session. Don't worry if your gym doesn't offer a locker rental - just ask them nicely. Good gyms want you to use the facilities and have a good time there.
So here's how to make the most of it:
1. Stash some spare socks and underwear at least. Consider leaving a spare shirt and set of work out clothes there. Theres nothing worse than getting to the gym and realising you forgot your gear or don't have fresh socks for after!
2. Flip Flops are a must. You just don't want your feet where everyone else has been.
3. Leave a set of headphones here! Good tunes are a great work-out booster and it's not the same without them if you're used to hearing 'Eye of the Tiger' blasting in your ears.
4. I like to leave my trainers in the locker - they take up more space than anything else in my kit bag.
5. I personally like to have an inspirational picture or phrase blue-tacked to the back of my locker (the inside of the door is too obvious) it's a good reminder of why you're there. It doesn't have to be Arnold either, it can be that 'fat pic' you hate, a younger photo of yourself or just a photo of a loved one. Being reminded of looking good for your partner or fit enough for your kids can be more powerful than the airbrushed abs of that fitness magazine you half read. It can be much more powerful motivation to imagine running in the park and not getting breathless or your partner eyeing you up hungrily. That said Arnie is still the man and pretending your Terminator, James Bond or The Transporter always works!
6. If you're into shakes and supplements this is the perfect place to leave those post work-out recovery tools.
7. Finish properly and keep the good stuff there. You've made it to the gym, you've put the time into you and you're be feeling good. Now follow that up with a proper set of grooming products and your aftershave of choice. When you walk out knowing you've worked out, and that you're looking sharp you'll feel great. Connecting this feeling to the gym will help make sure you make that next session.
So there you go, this little tip will save you carrying a huge gym bag with you, make sure you look good and that you're ready for a great work-out.
Buying Christmas beard gifts for the man in your life can be tricky no matter if they are your brother, boyfriend or dad, even the bearded ones.
However, if the guy has a beard, you can be certain that some beard care items and or some form of facial hair item will be loved and cherished way beyond Christmas time.